Monday, March 22, 2010

Tribute to My "Pride"

Today I want to pay tribute to a really great dog. My "Pride" was truly one of the greatest dogs that ever lived. He was great to me because he loved me with his entire being. Pride was a one person dog and I was his person. I rarely needed a leash because he stuck to me like glue. Like most Australian Shepherds, he was full of energy and loved to run and jump. When my other great "aussie" Rusty was alive, the two of them would play "tackle" in the pasture and put on a regular show clowning around with each other.
June 10, 1999 - March 15, 2010
Last Monday I had to make one of the hardest decisions I've ever made in my life. Pride was suffering with lymphoma and that particular weekend was very painful for him. So on Monday I called my veterinarian and took him in for the injection that would cure his misery. I held him in my arms as he took his last breath, telling him I loved him.
This is still very difficult for me, but so many of you have prayed for him and expressed your sympathy that I wanted to share this tribute. I will never forget the date because this happened to be my birthday.

18 comments:

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

So sorry to hear about your doggie, Marsha. I know how hard it is having going through it several times myself. What a beautiful dog he was.

Joseline said...

Oh Marsha, I am so sorry to hear about Pride. He was a beautiful dog. My you find comfort in remembering his life.

Colleen said...

So sorry Marsha:(

Stephanie said...

Oh Marsha, so sorry about your beautiful dog. Sending you a big hug!

Marlene said...

Awww, I just cried. I'm so sorry. Pride looked like a wonderful companion. I so know how difficult it is to let a sick pet go. Been there, done that, and don't wanna do it again. :( I'm so sorry. He was a beautiful dog.

Joani McDonald said...

Marsha - you've just brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss. It's been 16 months since I've lost my precious Ginger and it will always leave a hole in my heart.

Please know that your beautiful Pride is in a better place not hurting and you two will be joined again someday.

I'll pray that your pain eases with all the thoughts of your happy memories together.
Hugs,
Joani

Good Kardma by Jules said...

I'm so sorry about your lovely dog and faithful companion. I know how difficult it is to lose a treasured pet. Take care.

Melanie said...

Oh Marsha I have tears for you. I know your heart is still aching and I want you to know that I love you and I am praying for you. Just take one day at a time and enjoy those wonderful memories that sweet Pride gave you. Sure was a georgous dog!!

Danni said...

I'm so very, very sorry. I know all too well how painful this is. Hugest of hugest hugs!

Melina said...

I'm teary with you sweetie...
love ya...praying for ease of the pain of the loss of your beautiful friend.

Julie said...

Oh my....you poor dear thing I can't imagine what this must feel like. I dread the day we lose our lab Patriot. ((Hugs)) to you Marsha!!!

Gloria a.k.a. mmgirl said...

Marsha, I know how hard it was for you to write this about your "Pride". He was a wonderful dog and is in a better place with no pain and with Rusty. Always remember the great times with them both. My heart goes out to you. Love, Glo

Christine Riley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Pride. He is at peace now. I know how hard that decision is to make. Big Hugs,
Christine

Donna Moore said...

Oh Marsha, I am so sorry! He was God's gift to you and gave you such love. I empathize as I know how hard it is to let go of such love and companionship. Pride is playing in the pasture with his friends and remembering your great times together! Blessings dear one!

HappyCrafter said...

So sorry to hear about your loved one, he looks and sounds like he was very special. The right decisions aren't usually the easiest, take care!

Tracey said...

Marsha - You have brought tears to my eyes.
Pride is a very handsome dog and I know he was loved and will be missed.
Thinking of you!
Hugs,
Tracey

Jennifer said...

My heart goes out to you on your loss. He was a beautiful dog Marsha! Hugs!!

Lesley said...

Marsha, I'm sorry about Pride, I know how hard it is to lose a dog. The picture of him is just gorgeous!

I love to read your comments!

I love to read your comments!